Thursday 24 October 2013

Week 04_ EXP 2

CryENGINE 3 Materials: an introduction and application Vol. 3


The images above are test materials/ textures that I applied onto boxes/ planes made in 3ds Max. I had some difficulty getting the materials to map over the whole object, but after a lot of experimenting with the settings I was able to get some decent textures.

Use Youtube to find at least 5 trailers for movies to use as a reference for EXP02. Link them to your blog.

1) 2012


2) The day after tomorrow


3) Knowing


4) Deep impact


5) The towering inferno


I think what all these trailers that I have selected have in common is the impact that natural disasters have on big cities and peoples quest to survive. Obviously, all these movies are quite dramatized but the detail put into how a building falls over/ destroyed is what I found most useful in developing my decayed building. All the trailers also helped me to see how they create suspense by the use of various clips put together of the disasters consuming the buildings and the land.

Reflection on the lecture
In today's lecture Russell showed us how to implement different textures on our building. The most interesting part was when he used a paint tool in 3ds Max to create gradient textures that merged together, this could be useful to create a graffiti look to the walls.  

No comments:

Post a Comment